Tuesday 9 October 2019 The second of Hounslow Council’s Air Quality Steering Group took place at The Holiday Inn, Brentford.
Here is a summary of the questions we asked the Council, with reference to our feedback to the AQAP consultation response in Dec 2017:
…and also the Sky News Global Warming video shown at the Climate Emergency meeting in the afternoon, showing what would happen if global temperatures rise above 2 degrees.
Clean Air Zone
– could you ask/work with TfL to make the A4 corridor running through the residential part of Brentford to become a Clean Air Zone? The M4 section (Highways England) above it is already enforcing a 40mph limit, however the A4 doesn’t enforce a speed limit, so people drive faster than 40mph. We’d like the speed limit on this A4 in this residential section to be reduced to 30mph.
– please let us know what your plans are regarding deep-cleaning the central reservation under the M4? It sounds like there might be some progress with this.
– could you set up a time-table for doing this regularly please?
A4/under M4 flyover greening
– if there is progress regarding greening under the M4 that would be wonderful to follow up on please.
No Idling Signs
– it’s good to know these are in use in the Borough, however I haven’t spotted any of them. Is there a list of the locations please?
– could we please have No Idling signs for:
1) the Kings Arms pub on Station Parade, next to our SWR flower slope
2) and 3) outside Brentford Station, north and south sides
4) outside Ann’s Taxi Rank on Boston Manor Road
5) outside Pizzaiolo, on Windmill Road
6) and 7) Brentford High Street, north and south sides
These are idling hot spots in already-polluted areas.
City Hall monitors in Hounslow
– it was mentioned that there were additional City Hall monitors in Hounslow, it would be good to know where these are located
– TfL have given us an update of the buses used in Brentford, please see our updated list here:
– could you please push for more emission-free buses as a matter of urgency?
A4 Hedge in Brentford
– it would be great if the Council could give the go-ahead for this.
Refuse Collection vehicles
– please ask the Refuse Collection vehicles not to Idle on residential roads, for the health of their workers and residents.