Thurs 27 Feb 2020 Following on from last October’s meeting where the ideas in the *above diagram* were collated, a new Clean Air and Climate Emergency Reference Group has been formed. We took part in this first meeting organised by Hounslow Council, alongside other interested local community groups. Some key points: the Council plan to be net zero by 2030, will be using 100% renewable energy by Oct 2020, are planning solar farms in Hillingdon, solar panels in schools, and are making progress with electrification of their vehicle fleet. Continue reading
We ♥ trees! Mature trees act like lungs for us humans, providing oxygen and absorbing carbon dioxide and we need more of them to help make our air cleaner.
Air Quality Brentford is taking part in Hounslow Council’s Cleaner Greener campaign alongside other community groups and we are specifically asking for more trees to be planted in Brentford. Trees are either planted on the roads (Hounslow Highways responsibility), Parks (run by Lampton 360) or on housing land (Hounslow Homes).
We’re also asking where and when replacement trees will be planted in the unfortunate event that mature trees are felled.
**Please note that due to an unexpected supply issue with the containers we have had to reschedule this event to Saturday 25 April 2020 from 10.30/11am.**
We need your help with our big community planting project so please save the date and join in the fun! In 2018 we applied to Hounslow Council for funding to buy some containers for Brentford Market Square, in our continued efforts to #MakeBrentfordGreener. The funding was approved and after consultation we decided to get some containers which will be both attractive and resilient for this public space.
We’ve commissioned a company called IOTA who have made containers for spaces in Hanwell, Kings Cross, amongst other locations, and decided to get four large CorTen containers, a little like the container below in Edinburgh, but not as tall, and one bright yellow container, seen below at City University and Kings College Campus London.
We’ve consulted with local businesses, the Sunday Market and Hounslow Council and have marked up where the containers will be positioned. Brentford Market Square is a flexible space with multiple uses and the positioning of the Sunday Market stalls and access for the stall holders was a big consideration in the final location of the containers. The chalk has washed off in the meantime with heavy rain but will be re-marked again periodically in the run-up to the planting project.
We plan to fill the containers with lots of plants and are asking local residents if they have any spare plants from their garden to donate to the project. If you have any that might be useful could you email us on firstname.lastname@example.org by 8 March and we’ll see if we can use them.
Mon 18 November 2019 Our 2nd AGM celebration was held last night at The Griffin pub, Brook Road South. Here is the link to the AGM presentation for anyone who is interested and wasn’t able to make the meeting:
Before (from Google street view)
Saturday 19 October 2019 Some residents from Eastbourne Road, north of the M4 flyover in Brentford, had asked us if a planting project could be done along the pedestrian alleyway to the A4. Continue reading
Tuesday 9 October 2019 The second of Hounslow Council’s Air Quality Steering Group took place at The Holiday Inn, Brentford.
Here is a summary of the questions we asked the Council, with reference to our feedback to the AQAP consultation response in Dec 2017:
…and also the Sky News Global Warming video shown at the Climate Emergency meeting in the afternoon, showing what would happen if global temperatures rise above 2 degrees.
Clean Air Zone
– could you ask/work with TfL to make the A4 corridor running through the residential part of Brentford to become a Clean Air Zone? The M4 section (Highways England) above it is already enforcing a 40mph limit, however the A4 doesn’t enforce a speed limit, so people drive faster than 40mph. We’d like the speed limit on this A4 in this residential section to be reduced to 30mph.
– please let us know what your plans are regarding deep-cleaning the central reservation under the M4? It sounds like there might be some progress with this.
– could you set up a time-table for doing this regularly please?
A4/under M4 flyover greening
– if there is progress regarding greening under the M4 that would be wonderful to follow up on please.
No Idling Signs
– it’s good to know these are in use in the Borough, however I haven’t spotted any of them. Is there a list of the locations please?
– could we please have No Idling signs for:
1) the Kings Arms pub on Station Parade, next to our SWR flower slope
2) and 3) outside Brentford Station, north and south sides
4) outside Ann’s Taxi Rank on Boston Manor Road
5) outside Pizzaiolo, on Windmill Road
6) and 7) Brentford High Street, north and south sides
These are idling hot spots in already-polluted areas.
City Hall monitors in Hounslow
– it was mentioned that there were additional City Hall monitors in Hounslow, it would be good to know where these are located
– TfL have given us an update of the buses used in Brentford, please see our updated list here:
– could you please push for more emission-free buses as a matter of urgency?
A4 Hedge in Brentford
– it would be great if the Council could give the go-ahead for this.
Refuse Collection vehicles
– please ask the Refuse Collection vehicles not to Idle on residential roads, for the health of their workers and residents.
10 September 2019 We attended this event at City Hall along with other organisations and community groups concerned about air quality. It was noted that we’re now 6 months in to the first phase of the ULEZ and it will be expanded in October 2021. Continue reading