23 Jan 2018 The Mayor of London has been consulting on the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) for the past 2 years. The 4th part of this consultation closes on 28 February 2018, asking where the zone should extend to. At the moment the ULEZ will stop at the other side of the North and South Circular in Chiswick, (not including the North and South Circular roads). Any polluting vehicles entering the ULEZ will need to pay a charge for doing so, limiting their use, which in turn will help make the air cleaner.
We believe that Brentford should also be included in the ULEZ especially with the major arterial routes of the M4 and A4 running through residential areas, and are asking that the ULEZ is extended to the M25 to include the whole of Greater London, in this mayoral term, so that all Londoners are allowed to breathe clean air.
Unfortunately, although the government encouraged people to purchase diesel cars in recent years, it is these diesel vehicles which are responsible for emitting two harmful pollutants which affect human health:
1) Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2), an invisible gas
2) Particulate Matter (PM10 and PM2.5), very tiny particles of dust, you can’t see them
and the levels of these in Brentford regularly exceed that which is legal.
These pollutants can limit the growth of children’s lungs, cause heart disease, cancer and lung conditions including asthma.
The consultation is an opportunity to ask for Brentford and the rest of Greater London to be included in the ULEZ. We’d like as many people as possible to take 5 minutes to answer the 9 questions – the more people who do so the better, so please ask your friends and family to take part as well.
Short cut suggestions to filling it out:
1) Strongly support (should apply to all vehicles not just heavy vehicles)
2) Oppose (should be sooner)
3) Support (could use other factors like road pricing scheme/level of vehicle emissions)
4) Strongly support
5) Support an expansion but area should be larger (to include Brentford and the whole of Greater London)
6) Oppose (should be sooner)
7) Support (could charge for distance travelled/level of vehicle emissions, etc)
8) Strongly support
9) Support (road pricing system would be fairer to charge for distance travelled)
10) Add your thoughts here (e.g. ask for Brentford to be included in the ULEZ).
Caroline Russell (Assembly Member for the GLA) has put together her draft response to the consultation which you might be interested to read for more information.